About the Report
Alert Logic was named a Leader in the IDC MarketScape: U.S. Managed Detection and Response Services 2021 Vendor Assessment,1 in which 15 managed detection and response (MDR) providers were evaluated on current and future capabilities. The report presents a thorough analysis of these solutions for organizations seeking to strengthen their posture against cybersecurity threats.
In a Sea of MDR Providers, Alert Logic Named a Leader
After reviewing the entire report, what’s most evident to me is how the Alert Logic MDR solution compares. The graphic highlighting where each vendor lands just scratches the surface, but the language in the write-up is where this becomes apparent. The report rightfully highlights Alert Logic’s core strengths:
- Great fit for:
- small and midsize businesses/midmarket companies, which is where we believe the MDR outcomes will resonate first
- organizations without a dedicated SOC
- any level of security/IT maturity
- interest in securing AWS workloads and cloud-native environments
- Broad coverage with pre- AND post-breach focus for cloud migration transformation/modernization and optimization
- Partnership, integrations, and interoperability with AWS support security throughout cloud journeys — particularly in newer areas such as serverless and container environments
- White-glove customer service:
- dedicated MDR concierges
- weekly client meetings, quarterly maturity reviews
- ongoing service delivery improvements-based research, analytics, customer feedback
- Rapid alert notifications (One customer said they received a call within one minute of the alert!2)
But what I find fascinating is how Alert Logic’s strengths compare to the challenges and even the strengths of the other players.
Anyone who reads the IDC MarketScape to inform their evaluation of MDR providers should pay particular attention to the details and determine if one offers:
- limited access to customer portal for investigations
- no self-service onboarding, ticketing, or customized reporting
- no continuous threat hunting (only during business hours)
- difficulty in new deployments and QA
- quality of product and service not keeping pace with company growth
- lack of threat intelligence
- no direct access to analysts (portal and email only) nor live chat
- confusing, multiple SLA service tiers (Why pay extra for this?)
- endpoint focused
- no on-prem option for MDR
- lack of broad detection
- no white-glove treatment
What this report demonstrates is there are differing opinions among the various providers on what constitutes true MDR, but they share a common desired outcome. According to the IDC MarketScape:
“Optimally, MDR services enable organizations to maintain a consistent level of awareness and protection, along with the flexibility to reprioritize, reassess, and reconfigure their risk as well as detection and response tolerances and activities. Increasingly, security leaders view MDR as a necessity to help mature their cybersecurity programs.”3
This closely aligns with what Alert Logic defines as the characteristic of a comprehensive MDR solution.
Alert Logic MDR is focused on delivering meaningful security outcomes to alleviate pre- AND post-breach concerns. Through a combination of automated response and expert guidance with advanced analytical tools, Alert Logic reduces dwell time before any real damage is done. Unlike other cybersecurity players, Alert Logic MDR maximizes visibility to the threat surface, rapidly detects and responds to threats, and minimizes the impact of vulnerabilities, configuration issues, and attacks.
An effective MDR solution requires dedicated security experts with a thorough understanding of the threat landscape who leverage scaling through machine learning and analytics to efficiently apply knowledge, technology, and insights 24/7 to keep organizations safe. Alert Logic provides proactive, reactive, and targeted threat hunting as part of its MDR solution — improving an organization’s security posture by prioritizing and providing guidance to remediate vulnerabilities and misconfigurations.
If an attack is successful, a customer is immediately notified with recommended actions so they can quickly respond and mitigate any potential damage. Our ability to detect and respond to threats and minimize the impact of successful attacks for public clouds, SaaS, on-premises, and hybrid environments is what landed us on this report as a leader in the field.
IDC MarketScape provides a clear framework in which the product and service offerings, capabilities and strategies, and current and future market success factors of IT and telecommunications vendors can be meaningfully compared. The framework also provides technology buyers with a 360-degree assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of current and prospective vendors.
Explore the IDC MarketScape vendor chart and Alert Logic assessment here.
1 IDC MarketScape: U.S. Managed Detection and Response Services 2021 Vendor Assessment (doc #US48129921, August 2021).